Sunday 26 February 2012

Proverbs 15:31-32

 Through some of the things I have been reading I have really had some issues laid on my heart. I was pondering who some mentors are to me, but I got sidetracked by thinking who  could (or am) I be (or are) a mentor to? And I believe that it is a healthy, good thing to aspire to but shortly after that thought, I realised I was missing the point of what I had been reading. God wanted me to be a teachable person. Then another question later in the week, provoked from what I was reading (God wasn't done with this issue): Can I take constructive criticism? I thought, sure. But it doesn't seem like I get it very often, which is probably not a good sign. So I thought this needs a prayer. "Lord guide me to allowing myself to openly accept constructive criticism. Amen." Well that was good... and forgotten. The Lord moved in quickly on this one. This same evening my prayer was answered. During a conversation a friend prompted me to think about an issue that happened in my life recently, with (very gentle)constructive criticism. My first reaction, without realising was probably typical. I wanted to defend myself by explaining away. So later on, after our conversation, I was of course mulling over it. And then, I even went there--could she be right? Mulled over that for a while and then it hit me! Lord, I see how you are working on me.
 If you listen to constructive criticism, you will be at home among the wise. If you reject discipline, you only harm yourself; but if you listen to correction, you grow in understanding. Proverbs 15:31-32
 I see now, going back to the beginning, how I was getting it mixed up. Wanting to first aspire to be a mentor.Instead I need to focus on being obedient and humble. Thank you Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So what do you think? Leave me your comments. Thanks