Thursday 16 August 2012

The Great Pumpkin

My First Pumpkin

What a great thing: a real homegrown pumpkin, in my bread and soon to be in a pie (this weekend)! I decided to cut it from the vine when I saw a recipe for pumpkin bread in my cookbook "Artisan Bread in Five Minutes A Day" But to make my loaf more breakfasty I added 1/3 cup of raisins and 1/3 cup of chopped pecans to the flattened dough and folded it into thirds before I put it in the pan. 
In a large ice cream container I mixed all together:
1 cup of pumpkin puree
2 cups of warm water
1 1/2 tbl. yeast
1 tbl. salt 
5 tbl. melted butter
1/3 cup honey
1/2 cup oats
5 1/2 cups flour
Fit the lid on and let rise. After it has doubled. Scoop out with a floured hand, about a third to make one loaf. You can save the rest in the fridge for about a week or make 3 loaves. Let rise until you have a good size loaf it could take an hour or more, but if you use the dough after it has been refrigerated give it a bit more time to rise). Bake in preheated oven of 350 degrees, for 25-30 min. Yummy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

So what do you think? Leave me your comments. Thanks