Monday 25 March 2013

Parsnip Cake?

I came across a peculiar recipe which had both words parsnip and cake in the title. I was intrigued, and I happened to come across these veggies on the reduce rack and so I gave the recipe a try. I do find that parsnips can be kinda pricey, so I'm thankful for them being reduced in price.

I had to convert the recipe measurements, to using cups and tablespoon measurements. This is the recipe I followed:

1/2 cup + 2 TB. oil
1/2 cup + 2 TB. brown sugar
1 large egg
1 ripe, mashed banana
2/3 cup flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. mixed spice
1/2 cup grated parsnip
1/4 cup + 2TB. chopped, walnuts
For the topping:
1/4 cup butter
5 TB. icing sugar
1/4 pkg. cream cheese (about 1/4 cup)
2 tsp. maple syrup (or maple flavoured syrup works fine)
-Preheat oven to 325. Grease a loaf pan. Whisk the first 3 ingredients. Add the banana. Fold in the dry ingredients, followed by the parsnip and walnuts. Turn into the pan and bake 50-60 min. until done. To make the topping, beat the butter and sugar until fluffy. Beat in the cream cheese, followed by the syrup. Spread over cooled cake.

Take it from a "Parsnip Cake" doubter, its really good. My mom says it reminds her of a cake she ate when she was little, that her mom would get, which was made in England. I told her it was a recipe from a British magazine!

And here is MacMurray, dressed up by Violet, so that he can be her sister, she said. J

He tried walking around a bit but it looked more like a wobble.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So what do you think? Leave me your comments. Thanks